Low Maintenance Timber Windows and Doors – only Accoya® wood will do
August 15, 2018
It’s a widely-held belief that timber requires lots of maintenance, and uPVC doesn’t. This is the principal reason uPVC became so popular in the 80s and remains so today.
Accoya® wood – guaranteed for 50 years
But a Accoya® wood, a revolutionary timber product, blows this belief out of the water. Accoya® wood is the real alternative to uPVC – and it’s guaranteed for 50 years. This is twice the expected life of uPVC. It’s also arguably as durable as, but more accommodating than (a good quality) aluminium.
Accoya® is a Class 1 timber and outperforms all other widely used timbers, such as hardwoods like Red Grandis and Sapele (both Class 3) and softwoods like European Redwood and Larch (Class 3 or 4, depending on their source).
This revolutionary timber product is:
- Long-lasting. Guaranteed by the manufacturer, and by our manufacturing partners, for 50 years!
- Virtually rot-free, and resistant to fungal and insect attack.
- Dimensionally stable. No swelling or warping, so products operate smoothly all year round.
- Perfect for Coating. So stable that finishes last 3-4 times longer than on other timbers.
- Warm. A natural insulant, Accoya® has a lower U-value than any other commonly-used timber.
- As hard as teak. It’s used in bridges, and even foundation pilings in earthquake zones.
- Carbon negative. For every tree harvested, two are planted, and the processing is totally natural with no harmful by-products.
- Even guaranteed below ground and water for 25 years!
The Timeless Beauty of Wood
So Accoya® has none of the maintenance and longevity problems associated with any other timber product. This makes it the first choice material for timber windows and doors, timber conservatories and orangeries, and other products such as cladding.
This unpainted Accoya window above, made 15 years ago by our timber manufacturing partner, has been left outside, exposed to the elements ever since. Having braved the elements for so many years it has suffered zero rot, warping or insect attack! (You can see more photos of this window in our blog: ‘Accoya Wood Windows & Doors – Does It Matter Who Makes Them?’)
But it’s no accident. Due to a combination of the workshop’s unmatched design, manufacturing & components the integrity of all the joints and seals is perfect, as is hardware operation!
Brush off the cobwebs and fit a glazing unit in it, this window would perform as well as a brand new unit straight out of the factory.
To us, this is pretty amazing, and completely negates our potential clients’ fears about the maintenance and longevity concerns of timber.
It’s a superb material. But just using the timber doesn’t guarantee longevity. It also clearly matters who makes it.
Robert has been developing and building period & contemporary homes since 1995, and has installed all types of external home improvement products.